Charles Larkey gained most of his popularity by marrying the award-winning lyrics writer and singer Carole King. Professionally he had remained a bassist in the bands, The Fugs, and The Myddle Class.
But more than his career, his fame was drawn by this marriage. Larkey’s ex-wife, Carole King, is a famous singer who has been awarded many more prizes.
While marriage gave him fame but this fame collapsed due to music. After some years, the couple has broken up. No doubt, Carole King is much more well-known than Charles Larkey.
But Larkey is also famous for its songs like- I Feel the Earth Move, Where You Lead, and You’ve Got a Friend Crooner.
Charles Larkey Education & Family Background
Larkey spent his early life in New Jersey and had his education there. He was admitted to the Governor Livingston High School.
His father had been a well-established businessman in Newark, where he owned a garments store. It was one of the oldest garment stores in the area, celebrating its 50th anniversary in 1951. Apart from that, little is known about his family or early life.
From childhood, Larkey was fascinated with wearing trendy and fancy clothes from his father’s store. However, his primary aim was not to be a bassist, his ability to learn quickly led him to this path.
At the start of his career, he was a member of the garage band King Bees. Then one of his friends, Myke Rosa, invited him to the band The Myddle Class. Gradually the band became famous with many popular songs.
In 1967, he joined the band called The Fugs. After two years, the previous band, The Myddle Class, was disbanded.
Larkey’s Band, “The Myddle Class”
- The Myddle Class was an American rock band that came into full force in 1960. It was mainly owned by Carole King Gerry Goffin, who was one of the leading artists in New York in the 1960s.
- After the 1960s, the band had lost its balance, and the members were scattered. One of the members of Myddle Class, Charles Larkey, had married the owner, Carole King.
- In the 1970s, this famous babe was disbanded after the murder of the guitarist Rick Phillip. The band members scattered after their lead singer. Dave Palmer joined the band Steelydan afterward.
Some Popular Albums by Charles
- Some well-known music albums of this bassist are Don’t Let Me Sleep Too Long, I Happen to Love You, Tenderness Junction, Golden Filth, Lay It All Out, Now That Everything’s Been Said, etc.
Larkey Met Carole King
- Larkey met his ex-wife Carole King due to their familiar interest in music. However, he had already been successful before meeting her. In the 1970s, the couple had made a lot of successful collaborations.
Charles Larkey married the famous singer Carole King in 1970 and is as famous as modern-day singers like Charlie Puth, Justin Bieber, Eminem, and Kendrick Lamar. They had been living in Los Angeles and formed a rock group called the Citi to release an album together. But they were separated in 1976.
- Children: Charles, though divorced from his wife Carole King, had two children – Molly Larkey and Levi Larkey. Molly Larkey was born on December 31st, 1971.
- She is also an artist, a trait inherited from her parents. She is a sculptor who likes to work with famous writers who commit suicide. This 51-year-old artist had a solo exhibition in 2007.
Larkey’s younger child Levy Larkey was born on April 23rd, 1974. Unlike the rest of his family members, he found his career in the entertainment industry. He works as a boom operator in the films.
Larkey’s Divorce From King
Charles and Carole had moved on in their personal life and career. In 1977, soon after her divorce, she married Rick Evers, a songwriter. Her previous marriage collapsed due to her extreme commitment to her career, but her subsequent marriage with Evers was turbulent.
This marriage lasted for only a year. Evers has abused her to such an extent that she was finally forced to leave her marriage. A few days after the separation, Rick also faced tragic death by overdose.
Larkey’s fourth marriage happened with Rick Sorrensen, who was a rancher. Now they remove themselves from the media spotlight. Their relationship lasted from 1982 to 1989.
Larkey’s Wife, Carole King
Carole King was a well-known rock artist whose career flourished in the 1960s. She was born in 1942 and has been married four times throughout her career. She started to train when she was four years old.
She was admitted to Queens College and continued to practice music side by side. Her meeting with Gery Goffin happened at this phase of her life, and they came closer due to their shared interest in music.
They got married in 1959. The couple got massive success by collaborating on many music albums like “(You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman, Will You Love Me Tomorrow.”, “Take Good Care Of My Baby,” “The Loco-Motion.”
Carole’s first daughter Louise was born in 1960, followed by her second daughter Sherry in 1962. But the couple divorced in 1968.
In 1970, she was married to Charles Larkey, a bassist. The couple was in the news after performing on an album together. They had two kids when they were in a healthy relationship. Daughter Molly was born in 1971, and their son Levy came off in 1974.
They had been living in Los Angeles by forming a blended family of six members. But finally, they were separated in 1976. After that, Carole was in a toxic relationship with Rick Evers.
Rick Died due to a drug overdose in 1978. In her book, ‘A Natural Woman: A Memoir,’ she opened up about her past relationships.
After Evers’ death, Carole Married the carpenter Rick Sorrensen in 1982, and they were in a healthy marriage till 1989; after that, Carole didn’t marry and kept her personal life private.
Recent News of Charles
After the band was broken up, Larkey tried his fortune to play with different bands up to the 1980s and tried his luck in different things. He tried to switch his career to acting and worked as an aerobics airplane dealer.
There Larkey shared his experience as a pilot and instructor. He is currently residing in Austin, Texas.
- Charles Larkey was married to Grammy award owner Carole King for less than a decade.
- He was the father of two kids from this marriage.
- She had been engaged with several bands like The Fugs and The Myddle Class.